Bug in simple parallel for loop

General OpenMP discussion

Bug in simple parallel for loop

Postby khuffenb » Wed May 12, 2010 8:13 am

I cannot figure out why this code produces inconsistent results, sometimes skipping steps in the inner loop. Maybe a simple bug, but I can't find it. I appreciate any input.

Code: Select all
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <omp.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
  int N = 4;
  int i,j;

// Let's try a loop
#pragma omp parallel for
  for (j=0;j<N;j++) {
    for (i=0;i<N;i++) {   
      printf("id: %d; ij: %d %d; total: %2d, N: %d\n", omp_get_thread_num(), i, j, j*N+i, N);
    }
  }

return 0;
}

I compile with: gcc -fopenmp -o test1 test1.c
using gcc version 4.4.3 20100127 (Red Hat 4.4.3-4) (GCC).

Sometime the output is normal, but often and unpredictably skips elements in the inner loop:

Code: Select all
$ ./test1 | sort -n -k7
id: 0; ij: 0 0; total:  0, N: 4
id: 0; ij: 2 0; total:  2, N: 4
id: 0; ij: 3 0; total:  3, N: 4
id: 0; ij: 0 1; total:  4, N: 4
id: 0; ij: 1 1; total:  5, N: 4
id: 1; ij: 0 2; total:  8, N: 4
id: 1; ij: 1 2; total:  9, N: 4
id: 1; ij: 2 2; total: 10, N: 4
id: 1; ij: 3 2; total: 11, N: 4
id: 1; ij: 0 3; total: 12, N: 4
id: 1; ij: 1 3; total: 13, N: 4
id: 1; ij: 2 3; total: 14, N: 4
id: 1; ij: 3 3; total: 15, N: 4

Here (i,j) = (1,0); (2,1); and (3,1) are missing. Which steps are skipped and by which threads varies in subsequent runs.
khuffenb

Re: Bug in simple parallel for loop

Postby ftinetti » Wed May 12, 2010 9:20 am

Try adding

private(j, i)

to the parallel for.
ftinetti

Postby khuffenb » Wed May 12, 2010 9:33 am

This does seem to solve the problem. Thanks!

So I guess the issue was the i-loop in one thread was changing the i-value in the other, thus causing the loops to increment strangely.
khuffenb

Postby ftinetti » Wed May 12, 2010 10:20 am

Right, the only variable "assumed" as private is the one of the for loop distributed among threads. Other variables seem to be shared by default, I didn't check the specification/s, but maybe that is implementation dependent.
ftinetti

Postby ejd » Thu May 13, 2010 6:02 pm

The answer to the question is in the OpenMP V3.0 spec, section 2.9.1.1 Data-sharing Attribute Rules for Variables Referenced in a Construct. Basically there are three types of variables: predetermined, explicitly determined, or implicitly determined. The code has no explicitly determined variables (i.e., variables listed in a data sharing attribute clause - private, shared, default, etc. - on the parallel for). That leaves predetermined variables which are covered by a number of rules - but only one applies:
• The loop iteration variable(s) in the associated for-loop(s) of a for or parallel for construct is(are) private.

This rule makes the variable "j" private.

The rest of the variables are implicitly determined and are covered by the following rules:
Variables with implicitly determined data-sharing attributes are those that are referenced in a given construct, do not have predetermined data-sharing attributes, and are not listed in a data-sharing attribute clause on the construct.

Rules for variables with implicitly determined data-sharing attributes are as follows:
• In a parallel or task construct, the data-sharing attributes of these variables are determined by the default clause, if present.
• In a parallel construct, if no default clause is present, these variables are shared.

As you can see, this makes the rest of the variables ("i" and "N") shared.
ejd

Return to Using OpenMP