compunity: dead or alive

General OpenMP discussion

compunity: dead or alive

Postby fewl9012 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:49 am

The compunity.org address has expired [at least as of July 24 2019]. Is cOMPunity still active? I see it is still listed as an OpenMP member. Does it have any presence, and does it add any value? There is a compunity twitter account, and it's had precisely one post, in 2008. For some reason, zoominfo lists the cOMPunity address as Fairbanks, Alaska. There is a European business named Compunity (https://www.compunity.eu/).
It seems the OpenMP ARB runs IWOMP and OpenMPCon now without cOMPunity, though it was a sponsor back in 2015. Perhaps the need for the cOMPunity organization has diminished.
fewl9012

Re: compunity: dead or alive

Postby fewl9012 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:46 pm

Today I see the compunity.org website is at least resolving to something, but it's some old information. It says "The cOMPunity website provide up-to-date information" but the newest information on the site is from 2006. I still wonder if cOMPunity is really alive. Is Dr. Chapman still the president? Is anyone?
fewl9012

Postby MarkB » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:30 am

In theory (and legally) it still exists, but there is no activity taking place. For a long time its membership of the ARB provided a mechanism for individuals not associated with a member organisation to contribute to Language Committee discussions, but this has been superseded by the introduction of the ARB Contributor membership option. And the ARB now sponsors events directly, as you have noted. Did you have a specific question?
MarkB

Postby fewl9012 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:55 pm

If the purpose of cOMPunity has been superceded by the contributor membership, and there is admittedly no activity in the cOMPunity organization, perhaps it's time to formally close it down. It's still listed as a member, which according to MarkB's reply, is misleading at best. If a business shuts down, such as CAPS Entreprise many years ago, it gets removed from the member list. The compunity.org website was a place to get less unbiased (or less biased) information about OpenMP and implementations.
But my specific question was that there was a link from the openmp.org website to the compunity.org address that had gone dead. I thought either the address should be recreated, or the bad link should be eliminated. If there's no purpose to the community organization, then don't pretend.
fewl9012

Return to Using OpenMP