Please consider a macro to indicate OpenMP SIMD support

OpenMP 5.0 will be the next version of the OpenMP specification, which we expect will be officially released in 2018. This technical report is an up-to-date draft of the 5.0 specs for public discussion.

Please consider a macro to indicate OpenMP SIMD support

Postby nemequ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Some compilers support enabling OpenMP's SIMD support without enabling full OpenMP support; GCC using -fopenmp-simd, ICC using -openmp-simd, possibly others. In this situation, _OPENMP is not defined (nor should it be), and as far as I am aware there is currently no way for compilers to indicate that OpenMP SIMD is available without signalling that the entire specification is supported.

I would love to see an _OPENMP_SIMD macro (or something else, I'm not going to get hung up on the name) which would work just like the existing _OPENMP macro (defined to the appropriate value for whatever version of the standard is supported), but only convey information about the omp simd pragma as opposed to the entire specification.
nemequ

Re: Please consider a macro to indicate OpenMP SIMD support

Postby MichaelKlemm » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:30 am

Hi,

thanks for suggestion. I have forwarded the feedback to the language committee for discussion.

Kind regards,
-michael
MichaelKlemm

Return to TR6 - OpenMP 5.0 Draft Discussion